Thread: Curls won't stay!

Default Curls won't stay!

Okay, so I love to curl my hair sometimes. The only problem is that the curls never stay in place. After a few hours, they've fallen and I have to re-do them or just let my hair be wavy. And hair spray doesn't seem to keep it in place, just make it hard and frizzy. Idk what else to do.

Use a curl activator. Its a spray that you spray on your hair after you section it off to put it in the roller or curling iron. Many different brands available
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

If you can stand the discomfort of sleeping in velcro rollers, roll your hair while its damp and unroll in the morning. That method is the only way I can keep curls.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I have board straight hair. I can sympathize. This is what I have found helps: I blow dry hair 90% dry. Heat the sections up with dryer over round brush and immediately put in velcro curlers. Depending on how much time I have, I either leave it for an hour or so or blow dry over the curlers & heat up. Let cool & then unwind carefully one by one. Let it alone a few minutes, then brush or just syle. Hairspray is used very sparingly, if I use it at all-hold out from hair & just spray lightly. Also,use a soft hold. Have found also-some if the curl is going to slip out, so use a size smaller roller than you think. Ends up just right.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have hot rollers and they haven't worked for me so far. Also, since my hair is very thick and long, I try to wash it every 3 days instead of every day, so I can't do the method you mentioned McJag.

And I'll try one of the curl activation sprays, see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    I have hot rollers and they haven't worked for me so far. Also, since my hair is very thick and long, I try to wash it every 3 days instead of every day, so I can't do the method you mentioned McJag.

And I'll try one of the curl activation sprays, see if that works.
    Could be the length is too heavy. Also-you do know curl activators need some curl to activate,right?? My hair is too oily to wait more than one day. You are lucky.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Lol believe me, I don't consider myself lucky.

And I actually had a woman from Sally's Beauty Supply tell me that it was because I use a lot of conditioner in my hair, which I do. Maybe if I eased up on that, they'd stay in place...

Aren't curls supposed to look like corkscrews...then they relax down? At a wedding a few years back, the bridemaids hair looked ridiculous in the morning, but by ceremony time they had lovely natural looking curls.

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    Lol believe me, I don't consider myself lucky.

And I actually had a woman from Sally's Beauty Supply tell me that it was because I use a lot of conditioner in my hair, which I do. Maybe if I eased up on that, they'd stay in place...
    I don't use conditioner, just shampoo. Since I started doing that, my hair has been much bouncier and I have decent curls instead of just limp waves.

I use Isoplus Hot, Hot, Hot Thermal Curler spray. It's intended for ethnic hair types, but does a great job of locking in curl without being crunchy or stiff. I have coarse, thick hair so I use a lot of conditioner to keep the volume down. Normally, that means my hair refuses to take curl. But the Isoplus really holds the curl, sometimes until the next morning. You can get it at Sally Beauty Supply: Isoplus - Isoplus Hot, Hot, Hot Thermal Curler

Also, get a good curling iron with multiple heat settings. The HOT Tools professional irons are the best I've ever found for producing smooth, lasting curls without a lot of damage.
    Lead me not into temptation... I can find it on my own!

katerpiller, I tried what you said and it helped a lot. It's still not holding much curl though, but a little more than it used to.

And jenni, I'm going to get it the next time I'm there.

I need my curls to last from about 6 am to around 9 pm. I do my hair at 6 in the morning (before school) and get home around 9 or so (after work or going to a movie or the mall).

Thread Information