Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really dry skin on face

Default Really dry skin on face

I searched before posting, but didn't see anything relevant come up. I apologize if a similiar thread exists.

I have the worst dry skin on my face right now, it generally happens every time the seasons change. I tend to get patches of eczema under my eyes and lots of flaking on/around my nose. It's so bad right now that it looks like I have dandruff in my eyebrows and my cheeks are even flakey.

I have very sensitive skin and anything "greasy" on my face makes me break out in tons of blackheads and doesn't seem to help the issue either.

Any suggestions for a product that would help the with the flakes and overall dryness? I treat the eczema with a prescription med that contains a steroid.

I'm pregnant right now, and it's turned my skin into a damned mummy's, what with the parasite stealing all my moisture and all. The one thing I kept seeing as recommended (on makeupalley.com, for example) and apparently also by dermatologists is Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. So I got some--comes in a huge tub and looks just like old school cold cream, but WORKS like a charm. I literally had areas on my face flaking off, but it's pretty soft and smooth now. Also, it hasn't broken me out at all, and I'm prone to that right now, too. It's labeled as non-comedogenic. I'm sure it's good as body lotion, too. I hate to sound like a freaking commercial, but this stuff has been awesome for me and it doesn't cost a fortune either.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

^ I didn't realize you were pregnant, Manx. Congrats.

I have had episodes of itchy skin and flaking around my nose, mouth and eye brow area. Moisturizers will help temporarily, but even so, the flakiness shows again during the course of the day. My skin tends to be greasy, so I know I don't need anything heavier on my skin. The only thing I noticed helped me tremendously was just drinking more water. I used to very rarely drink water, and when I started drinking anywhere from 32 to 64 oz. a day, the flakiness went away. Recently, I've gotten lazy and decreased the amount of water I drink, and sure enough, the problem is creeping back. Gotta get back to drinking more H2O!

Yeah, drink lots of water - it really does make a difference in how your overall skin looks, not just your face. I've been using a hyaluronic acid serum on my face lately and it's helping with the moisture as well.

I can't really recommend a particular product - though I've heard nothing but good things about the Cetaphil - but I would highly recommend applying your moisturizer on damp skin. Wash your face, but don't dry it, just apply the lotion on top of the residual water. Always works like a charm when I have dry, flaky skin.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Diprobase is the only thing that works for me.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    ^ I didn't realize you were pregnant, Manx. Congrats.
    thanks! It's a sign of the coming apocalypse.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Are you using Elidel? I was using that for dry patches under my eyes and chin, but my doctor has switched me over to EpiCeram, which has been miraculous--and no steroids! (No, I don't work for them.)

http://www.epiceram.com/downloads/EpiCeram_PI.pdf

I live in a very very dry climate and have very sensitive skin. I use DHC's Tocophero E. it is heavy, but non-greasy and works wonderfully.

Congrats on the bambino Manx!!
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Thanks for all the responses!

I've tried the Cetaphil in the past, it didn't work very well for me. You name it and I've probably tried it at this point, Aveeno, Bag Balm, etc.

I am using Elidel on my face but only on the eczema. I have a derma appointment tomorrow, so I'm going to ask about the other 2 meds listed.

My skin is so sensitive I can't use anything on my face when I wash, just cool water. Anything else and it starts drying out, peeling and flaking. It's so annoying that I can't get this under control. I drink plenty of water, avoid fried/greasy foods, etc.

Last night I slathered on some Vaseline after I showered and my skin feels less tight today.

Congrats on the baby Manx.

avène hydrance optimale riche
    Hydrance Optimale Rich Hydrating Cream*- Avène

doesn't just grease up your skin but actually hydrates it. also, no perfumes or additives or shit.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    avène hydrance optimale riche
    Hydrance Optimale Rich Hydrating Cream*- Avène

doesn't just grease up your skin but actually hydrates it. also, no perfumes or additives or shit.

Whoa, it's $27 for a really small tube. I'm going to add it to the Xmas list I give my mother. LOL

^^^
    totally worth it though. i have really sensitive skin and it's a pain in the ass finding products i can use which won't irritate my face and this brand has been a lifesaver.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Ask for a sample of the EpiCeram. I think it's expensive, since their website offers coupons--I've just been using sample tubes myself. They're small, but one will last you a month or more.

My face is extremely sensitive too, to the point where all it will tolerate is Cetaphil bar soap for sensitive skin, followed by La Prairie eye cream and Phytomer Accept Neutralizing Cream (non-greasy and non-irritating). The EpiCeram was a little irritating the first few days, but then my skin tolerated it. I only needed to use the Elidel once a week over the summer (I had been using it twice a day), but I think now that the weather's gotten drier, I may need to use it a little more often. My doctor said she wanted me to use it as little as possible, because of the steroids.

Also examine whatever body lotion you're using--if I use anything with retinyl palmitate or other Vitamin A derivatives, it'll immediately cause burning, scaly patches under my eyes, even though I only use it on my legs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information