Thread: 24 hours of eye irritation thanks to makeup remover... heeeelp!

Default 24 hours of eye irritation thanks to makeup remover... heeeelp!

Yesterday afternoon I used the only eye makeup remover wipes I could find in the bathroom (which my sister had neglected to mention she can't use, because they cause a massive reaction... grr) and within about 20 minutes my eyes were all watery, bloodshot, stinging and irritated.

They're still sore and bloodshot today, 24 hours and a shower later. I'm going slightly insane. Does anyone have any idea how I could resolve the irritation? Any suggestions would be very helpful!

I have a trial shift at a restaurant early tomorrow and I'd rather not stumble through it half blind, looking like I've either been crying all day or hanging out with Harold and Kumar.

Get some baby shampoo. Lather a tiny bit in the palm of your hand. Soap down one eye-lashes and lid. Rinse. Repeat on other eye. My eye doctor taught me that trick. That will remove all traces-doesn't sound like you got it all off. Next-ice cube wrapped in paper towel pressed on each eye for just a minute or two.
    THROW THAT STUFF OUT NOW!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Get some baby shampoo. Lather a tiny bit in the palm of your hand. Soap down one eye-lashes and lid. Rinse. Repeat on other eye. My eye doctor taught me that trick. That will remove all traces-doesn't sound like you got it all off. Next-ice cube wrapped in paper towel pressed on each eye for just a minute or two.
    THROW THAT STUFF OUT NOW!
    Eeeep... don't think I can get some baby shampoo in time (the shops are mostly shut by now).

Perhaps a thorough rinse instead followed by the ice cube thing will work? Thanks for the tip!

And yeah. Already did.

Hrmm. According to my mother, when I was a baby I'd always have a reaction and get nasty swollen eyes if any baby shampoo got in them, anyway! I have self-sabotaging eyes.

Tried antihistamine eyedrops. Not working. Great, I'm going to look stoned on my trial shift tomorrow. If only I could wear sunnies with the required black pants, white shirt and black tie and claim I was giving the place a Reservoir Dogs edge...

use a 3.5% (or less) boric acid solution as an eye wash. (here you can buy it at the pharmacist.)

I very cunningly had a good cry before going to bed (who knew all these years of acting lessons would have a vaguely medical use one day?). I figured there's no better way of washing out my eyes, right? And it seems to have worked! I woke up and my eyes felt much better.

Pity about the blocked ears and hayfever on my shift instead, though! Stupid spring. Still, despite being sniffly and a tad deaf, I think I did pretty well, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions McJag and calcifer.

What on earth kind of eye makeup remover did you use?

You had a pretty severe reaction, and given that the product is MADE for use on eyes, that's a big problem. You should seriously consider contacting the manufacturer and reporting both your and your sister's reactions. And if you have a government agency like the FDA or the Consumer Products Safety Comission, consider reporting it there as well.

I'm glad your eyes are doing better now!

And for future reference, flushing your eyes with water is the best choice- do it over and over again, and blink a bunch to help work the chemicals out of your eye. Another trick that works well: close your eye and run your finger along your eyelid in a downward sweeping motion, like you're going from the inside-corner of your eyebrow to the bottom outer-corner of your eye. This pushes whatever is in your eye into the tear duct, which will help get it out of your eye more quickly.

lol- remember those crazy Eye Wash Stations in high school and college science labs? Do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    What on earth kind of eye makeup remover did you use?

You had a pretty severe reaction, and given that the product is MADE for use on eyes, that's a big problem. You should seriously consider contacting the manufacturer and reporting both your and your sister's reactions. And if you have a government agency like the FDA or the Consumer Products Safety Comission, consider reporting it there as well.

I'm glad your eyes are doing better now!

And for future reference, flushing your eyes with water is the best choice- do it over and over again, and blink a bunch to help work the chemicals out of your eye. Another trick that works well: close your eye and run your finger along your eyelid in a downward sweeping motion, like you're going from the inside-corner of your eyebrow to the bottom outer-corner of your eye. This pushes whatever is in your eye into the tear duct, which will help get it out of your eye more quickly.

lol- remember those crazy Eye Wash Stations in high school and college science labs? Do that!
    Just some Nivea Visage makeup remover wipes - NIVEA Visage - Refreshing Facial Cleansing Wipes

My sister and I both have sensitive skin. My sister's reaction didn't last quite as long as mine did - maybe we just have some random weird allergy/sensitivity to something in it.

Thread Information