Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyeing my hair

Default Dyeing my hair

Hi, I want to go from my dyed black hair to a dark auburn color. I want to get it done at the salon, but thought maybe there was another way to go about it and do it myself?

This is my hair color now:

(this pic is without my roots done ^)

But I want to get it to Ashlee Simpson's color, which is this:

Last edited by oltifreakinbaby; August 21st, 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Get it done by a pro,if you want it to look right. You will be happier.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

You have beautiful hair! totally jealous. Anyway, i would imagine that you would need to get heaps of highlights to lighten your hair first. Its do-able but i reckon you should go to a salon.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Don't dye your hair out of a box, even if Beyonce says you shou.d Nobody dyes their hair out of a pharmacy box except gutter slatterns and 14 year olds.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I agree.. especially if you have any current hair damage.. go to a salon and get it done professionally. Those Garnier Nutrisse commercials are bullshit (in my experience).. it'll be pricey (treatments are usually $80 a visit for me) but my colorist always gets the color right and always deep conditions and trims my hair afterwards so it looks and feels nice and healthy.

/femmefatale

Going red is very high maintenance. Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money staying that way. This is for professionals only. Good luck.

you can't color a lighter color over a darker one. you'll have to have that black removed before you can have auburn hair
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Good luck, the color is a good choice. Go to the salon by all means.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Lifting black is a very difficult process and next to impossible to do at home. I'm with everyone else- go to a salon. They know how to do this without leaving you looking like a Halloween wig.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    you can't color a lighter color over a darker one. you'll have to have that black removed before you can have auburn hair
    Yep, my (old) hairdresser died my hair very dark brunette (my natural colour) and I agreed because I thought it was a semi-permanent.... it wasn't & my hairdressers now (her boss) was like WTF? when I went in for a softer colour this spring....

Red fades really fast, I use a professional named brand "red" shampoo & conditioner & my hair dressers says that my red stays longer than anyone elses that she does.... and it doesn't last 6 weeks.
    Free Charmed.

Silver Member

Can i ask what your natural color is?

Personally, though nobody else seems to agree, i would do it myself. there are good hair colors out there. you are paying the salon for their time, not the mix.

Try Loreal 10 - Excellence to Go. and leave it on the extra 5 minutes.

Good luck. you have lovely hair.

^ that won't help her get the black off.....

Principles of color: a lighter color will not cover a darker one. Especially not with hair color.

The black needs to be removed. You can use a sulfur based oxidative color remover, like Modualt from Schwarzkopf, or One n Only from Jheri Redding, but unless you are a talented amateur and have some skills with hair color, a salon will be your best bet.

it's quite hard to remove black hair dye.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^ My hairdresser is the only qualified hair colour correctionish (or whatever its called) in our area. She does all sorts of stuff to sort out other salon's dye jobs & she was complainaing about it last time I was in.

Either you lift it out (opening the cuticle up, remove the colour, close the cuticle, etc) and condition, condition, condition OR you let it grow out....
    Free Charmed.

Silver Member

Any hair dye, permanent or not, fades over 6-8 weeks time. she could get a remover at the local beauty supply shop. every area has one. we have several that sell to the public. they have experts as well that could sell the correct product to take away the black if that is the route she wants to go.

She can also completely knacker her hair too.....
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information