Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil

Default Coconut oil

So, I just bought a jar of Coconut Oil at the store.

It was actually with high heat oil or Olive Oils. But it says that you can use this for beauty, also.

Is anyone a fan of Coconut Oil, and if so, for why?

I use coconut oil for my thick hair which has a tendency to be dry at the ends. My hair looks better and feels better.

Also, before my grandmother passed away, she always told me the benefits of liberally applying coconut oil to the face and other body parts. She said it was good for moisturizing and hydrating the skin. I must say she looked much younger than her 91 years.

I've tried applying coconut oil to my face, but I find it too greasy for my already oily complexion.
    Rock the fuck on!

Thank you.

I was reading on the jar. That it is for atheletes. That you can eat it right out the jar.

I was thinking that means that you can make cookies or bar. I'm not sure yet.

I use it occasionally for sun protection on my arms and legs while walking my dogs in the summer and cook with it extensively.

My face HATES coconut oil. For some reason, it makes my skin red, flaky and tender.

Bronze Member
    Searching for myself in this great big world.

I love coconut oil. I melt it down and use it with other ingredients to make a hair and skin mask. I really like how it leaves my skin and hair soft.
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." --RW Emerson

Zee

Have never eaten it, but give it to a few of my horses that need extra weight.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Hm, never thought about coconut oil. Does it smell good, like coconut? If so that might be worth trying on my hair. How do you guys apply it, hot, mixed with other things?

Bronze Member
    Searching for myself in this great big world.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Hm, never thought about coconut oil. Does it smell good, like coconut? If so that might be worth trying on my hair. How do you guys apply it, hot, mixed with other things?
    I put the jar of coconut oil in a pan of boiling water to melt it down. Than I just use what I need and let it harden again. I use this recipe and really like the results:

1 Avocado
    1 Egg
    1 Tablespoon Plain Yogurt
    1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
    1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil

Combine all ingredients in a blender ( I just smash it with a fork in a glass bowl) and process for 30 seconds. Apply immediately to clean skin and leave on for 5 to 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.

It makes a big batch so the rest I put in my hair and than put a shower cap on for about 30 minutes.
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." --RW Emerson

Hm, never thought about coconut oil. Does it smell good, like coconut? If so that might be worth trying on my hair.
    I get mine from a local Asian market. The one I use is a bit sweet smelling, but any brand of coconut oil will do.

How do you guys apply it, hot, mixed with other things?
    I use a coconut oil treatment once a week. You start off with having slightly damp hair after a shower/bath. Then you take a very small amount of coconut oil depending on the length of your hair (oh, I'd say about a dime-size) and put it in your palm, rub your hands together, and apply it to the ends of your hair with your fingers to ensure even distribution.

On a side note, use just enough coconut oil so that it will penetrate the hair. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I use coconut oil strictly for the ends as my hair there is quite dry. Avoid applying the oil in the middle particularly the roots. You don't want that greasy look.

Finally, you put on a shower cap or plastic bag and wrap a hot towel so the oil will penetrate. Leave the coconut oil in your hair for at least 20-30 minutes. Then you wash it afterwards. The key is to leave a bit of coconut oil on your hair without totally washing it all off. Here's a tip: shampoo your roots only, and when you rinse, the water runoff will remove some of that oil, and voila!
    Rock the fuck on!

Thanks heartleigh! The only thing I use regularly is Biolage ultra hydrating conditioner, but that has silicones in it so I'm curious about the coconut oil.

you can make cookies or muffins. I use it also for hair and face/skin.

coconut oil is awesome! i love it for my arms, legs & feet, and can be used in all kinds of cooking & baking. it makes awesome pie crust for those who are looking for an alternative to shortening.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I buy a coconut oil treatment by Organix. I use it in my hair and on my body (except my face). It's in the shampoo aisle of the pharmacy. It comes in a pump. One squirt works well on my waist length hair. My hair isn't thick by any means and is on the fine side, so you may need more.

I melt down the pure coconut from the food store and drench my hair with it a day or so after it's dyed and highlighted. I love to put it on while still warm. I also melt a small amount each night and use it on my body. My face can't handle it for some reason, makes me very oily and I get a ton of blackheads.

Bronze Member

I used to have one that I used on my body and one that I would eat. I didn't like the smell of the body coconut oil and still have some in the bathroom somwhere. I stopped using the edible one because I had read that it can raise cholesteral levals. I used to spread it on wheat toast in the morning and sprikle with cinnamon. Delicious!!

I use it on my hair and skin. People who have PCOS that get those bumps on their arms, swear by it.

I only suggest Organic Extra Virgin Cocunt Oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information