Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No-poo or going without shampooing?

Default No-poo or going without shampooing?

Alright, some of you are probably aware that I am allergic to corn and so struggle with not only what to eat, but also with what products to use. Glycerine is big big big in shampoos and such and I've dealt with hives on my scalp for decades (excusing it as dandruff because I was a moron).

I've decided to go shampooless for awhile to see how my scalp does. I used to wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner every single day, so this is a little bit hard for me.

Has anyone else done this? I used a Baking Soda wash (1tbs BS to 1 cup water) and an Apple Cider Vingar rinse the first day, but man oh man was my scalp greasy ... today I skipped the baking soda and just did the ACV rinse but added some black tea, this seems better.

Truly, it's been four days and it's not horrible but my hair feels a little bit gross. My scalp feels better than it has ... ever, in my whole life - so keeping this up is worth it.

Do any of you go without shampooing or only use water on your hair?

The only time I don't shampoo is when I've just colored my hair, and even then, I will shampoo by the day after. My scalp feels too itchy if I don't.

I don't think I could stand that. Can't you just by products that are glycerin free?

Biogenol/Framesi Shampoo Biogenol.US
    AG Color Savour Sulfate-Free Shampoo

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    I don't think I could stand that. Can't you just by products that are glycerin free?

Biogenol/Framesi Shampoo Biogenol.US
    AG Color Savour Sulfate-Free Shampoo
    I could, but imagine the joy of not having to spend a lot of cash on hair products anymore ... I'm having hippie fantasies! No chemicals, no plastics to recycle...

granted, i could likely wax a car with this mess - but online sources guarantee that the oil production will slow once I stop stripping it away with detergents every day. I'm praying that they are right.

Pros and Cons of Water-Only Hair Washing: How to Wash Hair Without Shampoo or Conditioner | Suite101.com
    Pros and Cons of Water-Only Hair Washing
    Author: Sarah Tennant
    Published: Jul 22, 2008

Product-free hair washing involves using a boar bristle brush, water and plenty of scalp scrubbing to clean hair without chemicals.

A few hundred years ago, the idea of washing your hair sans chemicals would have been commonplace. Today it seems strange or even unhygienic; yet some people are turning back to traditional methods of haircare. Whether stemming from a desire to reduce consumption, avoid chemicals, relieve conditions such as excema or dermatitis, or simply experiment, shampoo-free washing (known affectionately as 'no-pooing' or 'water-only washing') can be very effective in maintaining clean and healthy hair.

Why Washing Hair Without Shampoo or Conditioner Works

Hair becomes dirty because of two factors: trapped particles, such as dust, and sebum, a natural oil produced by the scalp which makes hair look greasy.

Washing the hair frequently with shampoo strips the hair of its natural oil, sebum. To compensate, the scalp will begin to overproduce sebum to make up for the lack, resulting in a cycle of overcleansing and overproduction of oil. Once the cycle is stopped, the scalp will eventually regain its normal equilibrium, resulting in the need for less frequent washing. A transition period of about six weeks is required to accustom the scalp to lower sebum production.

Trapped particles of dust and dirt can be removed to some extent by washing with water. To further clean the hair, a boar bristle brush can be used to brush the dirt right out.

How to Wash Hair Without Products

True water-only washing uses no products at all. In this case, the hair and scalp are simply washed vigorously under water, using the fingernails to 'scritch' at the scalp to remove any particles. Some people find that alternating hot and cold water helps to break through the sebum. Finishing the wash with a blast of cold water will lock down the cuticle of the hair, keeping it shiny.

Some people, while refraining from commercial hair products such as conditioner, like to facilitate washing and conditioning with natural products. Baking soda, vinegar, herbal teas, natural oils and butters, egg yolks and even yoghurt can form the basis of commercial product-free hair washing.

Using a Boar Bristle Brush to Clean Hair

Washing the hair is only one component of productless cleansing. A boar bristle brush is used to spread the sebum from the roots to the hair shaft, where it can do its job of moisturising and protecting the hair. Boar bristle brushes also trap dust and dirt in their closely-packed bristles, helping to clean the hair.

To prevent hair breakage, the brushes should only be used on detangled hair. Long strokes from the scalp to the tips of the hair should be used, to move the sebum down the hair shaft. Depending on the length of the hair, it may take several days for the hair to become coated with sebum.

Easing the Transition to Water-Only Washing

The six-week greasy period, during which the scalp learns to produce less sebum, can be frustrating. Greasy hair can be hidden under a hat or bandana, or disguised in braids, which hold particularly well in greasy hair. A boar bristle brush will polish the surface of the hair, which can make sebum look like hair product rather than grease.

It is possible to wean the scalp off shampoo. Alternating diluted shampoo washes with water-only washes will make the transition period longer but less severe. Alternatively, conditioner-only washing can be used for a few weeks before attempting water-only washing.

Some water-only hair washers experience a renewed greasy period some months into their new routine; this eventually settles down.

I wonder if dry shampoos have glycerin? Putting a little baby powder in your scalp can absorb oils/dirt in your hair as well.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I once read where you should (for dandruff)pour Listerene on your scalg & rub in. Wait a short while & rinse out with warm water. This might be worth a try,after you carefully read the ingredient list.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

no-pooing totally intrigues me. i have heard nothing but great things about it. i'll be following this thread. i can probably pull up some no-poo resources from some friends for you, if you're interested.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I've never done the no shampooing wash, but I can attest to the alternating with hot and cold water. It makes such a difference even while using the same shampoo/conditioner I've used all along. Finishing with the coldest water you can stand really made my hair soft and shiny.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you.

I've wanted to do this for some time and went as long as 3 days without shampoo before I couldn't stand the greasiness. If I lived in the middle of nowhere and could wear a hat everyday for 6 weeks, then I'd have no problem doing this.

So for now, the best I can do is shampoo my hair every other day.

I tried no-poo for the entire summer laster year and never got used to it. My hair never really felt clean.

If you have better luck with it, please let us know. I'd still like to find a way out of the greasy-scalp cycle I'm stuck in.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

I used to get my hair cut at a salon called Devachan here in NY, and they were big proponents of the no-poo thing. I did it for a bit, used to shampoo with conditioner. It was ok for my hair, which is thick and not at all oily.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Well, after three days of horrible greasy I did the black tea rinse/acv (2 teabags steeped in 2 cups water mixed with 1tbs acv and 1 cup plain water). My hair is good, odd but good.

It's not greasy, but it is very shiny and slippery but also has ALOT more body than it has ever had before. I still have it pulled back in a scarf because I'm not yet sure what to think of it. It looks great, but feels a little strange. My scalp still feels great!

I'll keep updating with my progress.

^^^^
    that sounds promising, definitely keep us posted. i have to wash my hair every day if i want to wear it loose, or every other day at most. and it gets so oily and disgusting. i would love to find a way to break the grease cycle.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Wash your hair with beer. Beer is good for your hair, and men will love you.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information