Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best solution for smoother skin?

Default What is the best solution for smoother skin?

I want to smooth out my skin. I have shitty large pores and acne scars on my lower cheeks. Not James Wood territory, but it pisses me off.

What is the best way to smooth a bit of this out, in the shortest amount of time? I've bought home kits with glycolic acid and those fricking crystals and they have done NOTHING over six months. Dammit!

I know there is chemical peels, laser, and that sandpaper diamond stuff. It's all so hard to choose from. Pain is not a factor, just mostly quickness. I don't want to go 8 times to get a bit of improvement (I got sucked into that before for 75 bucks a shot and they did nothing for me). I'm willing to look like raw hamburger if that's what it takes. I don't expect perfect skin, but I would like to at least have something noticeable!

Anyone have any experience with anything that's worked well for them? All of the brochures I've read seem to tout their way as the best. Grrr... I need an honest person's opinion not some hyped up ad agencies opinion.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I have a very soft facial exfoliating brush that I use, making sure that I have a decent froth of facewash on it to make it glide a little smoother across the skin. I don't do it every wash, just every other evening, and I have been using Bio-Oil every night after cleansing to fade out/smooth the scars I have from persistant acne. It does seem to work and there was a definate improvement in the texture of the scarring after a week or two. I have to be very careful as to what I use as I still break out regularly, especially if I try a new product or they change the formula of an old favourite and I react badly, not to mention about what happens with by monthly hormone hell kicks in. Thankfully, I've also found that this stuff doesn't seem to aggravate existing or encourage fresh acne, even though its a dry oil.

Bio Oil - Select your Language

Stop trying to do this yourself and go to a really good dermatologist. You will spend more money without a good result. Microdermabrasion might be the key-or dermabrasion. Only a doctor can determine what will work for your type skin.
    I heard about a model with oily skin that used a buff puff & lava soap.I treid that a few years & it actually worked...but my skin,while oily,never was anywhere near severe.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

thanks, yeah i wanna go to the dermatologist and get something done, just don't know what is the most time/cost efficient procedure.

will definitely look into the two suggestions though in the meantime and for upkeep.

Retin A, it can burn like a bastard for the first couple of weeks but it's the best nonsurgical shit out there for pore shrinking, skin refining and fine lines.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I have to agree with BioOil. I don't think there is anthing skin related it can't help.
    I use it twice a day on my inner thighs for stretch marks and on my chest for uneven skin tone. It absorbs quickly, has never aggravated my sensitive skin as isn't expensive at all.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

^^^ I've found some really unexpected benefits to it, too. I've found that it seems to have strengthened my nails on my right hand, or at least made them less brittle and prone to breaking than they were before. Being right handed I always had problems getting them to a decent length as they took the majority of the punishment whenever I was doing anything. I'm assuming that the oil gets absorbed into my nails when I apply it to my face at night and has made them a little more resiliant. I even had to trim them back a little the other day as they were getting too long!

Oh yeah, and a little oil goes a long way, so even a small bottle will last quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Retin A, it can burn like a bastard for the first couple of weeks but it's the best nonsurgical shit out there for pore shrinking, skin refining and fine lines.
    Jeez! what % are you using? I got some retin-A (after being recomended from someone from here) and using it 2 (or 3 max) times per week was just fine - any more felt like (mild) sunburn tho....
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Belt Up View Post
    Tazorac (the successor to Retin A) does a better job with pore shrinkage. It's twice as expensive because there's no generic equivalent yet.

I have not had the burning experience you've described but my skin is generally well hydrated and I started out slow with every other day usage, adjusting when necessary.

If you're on a budget, Retin A is probably one of the most effective skincare products out there.

I have very oily skin and ginormous pores, so I'm right there with you sistah!

Go to a really good dermatologist, I needed to go to 2 or 3 before I found one who would keep tweaking what we were trying until we found something that worked for me.

I tried Spironolactone (RX only) and it does a great job of decreasing the oil production and so the pores looked smaller.

The Tazorac/Retin A is great.

I also love a product they sell over the counter at the derm office called Pore Therapy by Clenziderm m.d., it's a toner with Salicylic acid, I can feel my pores slamming shut, but it doesn't dry you out. Love it. Only wished it lasted longer than a few hours.

Good luck finding a good doc.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Silver Member

Fastest results in the shortest amount of time means deeper peels or deeper lasers, there is a 2 week down time where you won't even want the pizza delivery guy to see you. And $$$. These are the ones that only MDs can do.

There is a risk of additional scarring. If you have thick, oily Mediterranean (or more southern/darker/oilier) skin this is not the best option because you are more likely to scar than the thin, dry skinned pale types.

Aside from that, for regular daily use there is nothing better than the strongest Retin-A or Tazorac applied as often as you can stand, basically for the rest of your life. But this way, and/or more superficial peels periodically, takes a lot longer and may not be as dramatic in their improvement.

Either way you need to see a doctor.

Don't forget your sunscreen, wide-brimmed hat or visor, and wrap sunglasses.

I have to jump on the BioOil bandwagon - that stuff works miracles! I have very sensitive skin and three quite deep scars from a skin infection on my chin, and it's done a fantastic job of repairing the scars. Combined with a semi regular microdermabrasion (once every few weeks) people have commented on the improvement. I know my skin will never be what it was, but it's an amazing repair job from a right mess - it has taken about 2 years though, but worth it, and cost next to nothing.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Do you have to get Retin A as a prescription or is it over the counter?

It's prescription in the U.S., but I know it's over the counter in some places, like in Mexico.

Silver Member

If you exfoliate (gently) regularly and moisturize (non-clogging), my advice would try to be happy with the skin you are in. your true beauty comes from within! also a good foundation helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information