Thread: DIY plastic surgery: The dramatic results!

Default DIY plastic surgery: The dramatic results!

Jun 17, 2009 11:08 pm US/Central
    Woman Disfigured From At-Home Silicone Injection

Reporting
    Esme Murphy
    (WCCO)

One Twin Cities mother decided to speak out about what happened to her after she tried to save money by injecting herself with silicone.
    CBS
    1 of 1

In a down economy, everyone is looking for ways to cut corners even when it comes to beauty. Products like Botox, silicone and Restalyn are being used by everyone from Hollywood stars to your next door neighbor.

A black market has developed for some of these and other products. One Twin Cities mother decided to speak out about what happened to her after she tried to save money by injecting herself with silicone.

"I really though that I was getting a bargain and I really didn't do my homework like I should have," said the woman who did not want to be identified.

Her lips and left cheek are disfigured from silicone she self-injected. She was trying to make her upper lip fuller and fill acne scars.

A year and a half ago, another doctor had given her silicone injections. That treatment went well but it wasn't cheap. It was $2700 for a series of three treatment.

So she turned to the Internet and found a site advertising silicone for $10.

The site clearly says the product is to be used externally as a personal lubricant. She thought because it was 100 percent silicone she could inject it. She bought the syringes at a local pharmacy.

"Initially I thought I did a good job," she said.

However, within a day her lips and cheek were disfigured.

"Its very frightening, its very embarrassing having to be in public," she said.

The doctor who is helping her, Dr. Edward Szachowicz, fears in this weak economy more and more patients may try to do their own injections. At his office the price of injectable fillers ranges from $250 to $800. The products last anywhere from four months to up to 18 months.

"I believe that what happened to our patient is a sign of the times," said Szachowicz.

Szachowicz said patients are turning to the Internet, especially overseas sites.

"They are actually getting product in their hands that wasn't previously available," he said.

Now this Twin Cities mother will be going to California to consult with a plastic surgeon. She faces thousands of dollars in medical bills.

"I feel that some of it can be fixed. I don't know how much," she said.

Now she wants to warn others.

"Don't do it," she said. "You don't know what you are getting especially if you're buying these products off the Internet."

While doctors warn about trying to inject any of these cosmetic fillers, silicone carries one of the biggest risks because, unlike Botox and collagen, which eventually are absorbed into the body, silicone is permanent.
    Source: Woman Disfigured From At-Home Silicone Injection - wcco.com

^Be sure to check out the video at the site! lol

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

"I believe that what happened to our patient is a sign of the times," said Szachowicz.
    It's a sign of stupidity. Anyone who would take silicone clearly marked "for external use only" and inject it into their face is a moron.

What an idiot.

It shows how far the drive in the area of vanity will take you. God, people do some stupid stuff - I can't imagine disliking myself that much to mutilate myself with any substance. Dumb dumb dumb.

A*O

Doesn't look any worse than some of the celeb lip jobs I've seen that were done by docs and cost thousands.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

OMG. How totally stupid.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

my god.

What a dickhead.

Brittany Murphy is that you?
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Wonder if DIY ass implants are do-able...

Oh, yes! And you can expect the same type of results as the opening post(or death, whatever).

Tampa woman sought after cosmetic injections in derriere injure two

By Rebecca Catalanello, Times Staff Writer
    In Print: Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sharhonda Lindsay, 32, injected two women, say authorities.
    TAMPA — The women heard about Sharhonda L. Lindsay by word of mouth.

For $12.50 per injection, Lindsay would give them the buttocks boost they desired.

What they didn't count on: pain and suffering.

The women, Andrea Nicole Lee, 30, and Zakiya Thema Teagle, 33, have been hospitalized since Jan. 29 with internal injuries, Hillsborough sheriff's spokesman J.D. Callaway said.

Lee, he said, is in serious condition. She paid $500 for 40 injections. Teagle, he said, is stable. She paid $250 for 20.

Now sheriff's deputies are looking for Lindsay, 32, of 9827 Blue Palm Way.

According to state records, she also goes by Sharhonda Linesby and has a criminal history that includes a 1999 arrest for forgery, larceny, uttering a forged instrument and unlawful use of a driver's license.

She was sentenced to a year and a half of probation.

Lee and Teagle met Lindsay at one of Lee's homes, 7907 Savanah Palm Place in Tampa, where the victims agreed to pay Lindsay to inject them with Hydrogel and saline solution, Callaway said.

After Lindsay left, Callaway said, the women experienced pain and discomfort, and were taken to Town & Country Hospital.

Lindsay is wanted on two counts of practicing medicine without a license.

Dr. Christian G. Drehsen of the Clinque of Plastic Surgery in Clearwater said he wasn't surprised by the news. He said he has seen about a dozen patients in the last year who have had bad reactions to injections they received from unlicensed practitioners.

Often, what is injected isn't what victims are told it is, and it disperses in the body and can have toxic and even catastrophic results, he said.

"Use the same caution as if you were taking medicine out of a box that has no label on it," Drehsen said. "You would never do that. You cannot base your choice on some anecdotal evidence of immediate result."

Deputies are now searching for other victims.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff's Office at (813) 247-8200.
    Tampa woman sought after cosmetic injections in derriere injure two - St. Petersburg Times

Other cases:
    Injected silicone deaths (2003)
    Death shows danger of silicone injections - Cosmetic Surgery- msnbc.com
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/ny...7silicone.html
    'Pumping Party' Silicone Injection Death Conviction Overturned - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

$12.50 an injection? Sheesh.. I can buy the entire McDonald's value menu and get the same lumpy ass.

Thread Information