Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair advice / suggestions

Default Hair advice / suggestions

I'm hoping to get some ideas for my hair. I am so sick of it. My hair is very fine and it is just past my shoulders. It is very limp and lacks volume. So I get a really light perm to give it volume. I am sick of this and ready for a change. I have a heart shaped face. I was thinking I need layers to give me volume. Does anyone have any hair suggestions for me? Thanks in advance!

We have the same hair and face shape. I've tried everything, and I still can't get lasting volume.

Me too. I have been using thickening products and I am thinking about getting a body wave, but I haven't had the time to go to the salon for several hours... layers never worked for me because they would look terrible all flat.

Read my thread, we have similar hair problems: Does anyone wear wigs?

Another fine-haired person here!
    If you get layers, be very careful b/c sometimes too much layering can make your hair look even thinner.

That said, I'm also thinking of getting a few layers so I can have more volume when I tease my hair. right now, I tease it within an inch of it's life & it goes flat 5 minutes later.

Blunt cut! Not layers!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have fine, straight hair and I just got it cut in a chin length choppy bob. I think the key is to have the stylist "texturize" the layers. I also use root boost and flexible hold hairspray. Spend the money on a really good haircut--and think about adding some subtle highlights.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Could you buy any extensions, to create volume? Just those standard clip in ones? I've seen them do wonders for a few friends.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

A*O

Careful with what hair products you use because any build-up will make fine hair go really flat and ratty. Unless it's very dry go easy on the conditioner. Kerastase do a great range of volumizing products - pricey but worth it. It comes in green bottles.

And a really great cut works wonders and highlights will make hair look and feel thicker too. Perhaps go a little shorter too as the weight of long hair drags it down. You might have to step out of your comfort zone if your hair has always been the style you have but a change can make you feel a million dollars.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've got very fine hair, but it's thick and oily to boot. So, sometimes I even shampoo twice and only condition the ends. I've had luck with lots and lots of mousse at the top/crown and then blowing out with a big round brush. Really get the roots hot/dry and then use the cool setting for a moment. Hold the brush in the hair until for another minute until it's really cooled down, spray with a little hairspray...but only a little and then unroll the hair from the brush. I can get pretty good poofy hair that will last 3 or 4 hours. Hope that may work for you.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Blunt cut! Not layers!
    i tried that and it didn't work.
    lalique is right, texturised layers are the key. and finding someone who really knows how to cut. and that's not easy. i had someone in the last place i used to live but sadly haven't found anyone here yet.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Check out the first cut in this thread, it just may work for your hair type:

The five best haircuts of all time

I agree with Lalique and Sputnik about texturizing. I've had the best luck with (1) someone who does mostly dry cutting, then washes the hair and evens things out a bit, and (2) my current stylist, who uses a razor and nothing else on my hair. She does a lot of slicing.

I also agree with Abbey about using a large round brush at the crown while drying (I use a diffuser). This will add volume, although for me it lasts only a day or so.

Another trick is to use dry shampoo (spray) at the roots, even if your hair isn't dirty. This adds tons of volume, but ymmv depending on the brand of dry shampoo you buy and whether it blends with your hair color.

I also find that my hair has to be colored. Even if I color it or have it colored almost exactly my natural shade, I need the swelling and roughening of the hair shaft that comes with bleaching.

Smurfette, you didn't say whether your hair is wavy at all, and whether you have a lot of hair or not much. I've read that lots of people with fine hair actually have a little wave. For years I tried to wear my hair straight, but it's actually wavy, and this was complicating the picture for me.

If your hair isn't straight, you might look at Welcome to NaturallyCurly.com! to find a hairstylist.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Bronze Member

I have very fine hair as well. I do have alot of it but it is very, very fine so it's limp as well. I know one product that really works, but I don't know if they sell it in the states. It's called Volumaster by Björn Axen.

It really does wonders for your hair and lasts a long time. But my hair gets greasy looking after a day or two so, after shower you'll have to redo it.

One thing that also work a little bit is when I but some kind of volume mousse on my hair after shower and then dry it head upside down.

Wow that little crimper thing looks great! If it actually works like that hehe.

I have the same problem, my hair is really fine and flat. I use Bedhead Superstar shampoo, conditioner and this gel stuff that all volumises and makes your hair smell gorgeous and look really shiny. It's a little bit pricey but it's so so worth it. Product and a good haircut really make such a difference. And I agree with those who say colour your hair, my hair aaaalways looks better with colour in it.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Wow, coolios50, that thing looks amazing!!!
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information