Thread: NYC beauty counter / perfume sales advice

Default NYC beauty counter / perfume sales advice

I need some advice from native NYC residents on this one!

So last year, I was in NYC on business and I went to the Saks flagship. I was in the market for a new perfume and I wound up splashing out for a Bond No. 9 perfume and my mate was in the holiday spirit and bought me the collectors bottle- it was not cheap to say the least. Anyway, the sales rep took all my info and seemed to take me on as a client.

From there, every few months, I'd receive an express shipment of the newest perfume samples in glass bottles and a handwritten note from the clerk. It surprised me, I didn't expect it, but I loved it!

I take it that he really viewed me as a client. And I guess I am. Problem is, I have now moved to a new location and I no longer get these shipments. And I'm interested in getting samples of some of their new fragrances.

Is it declasse to call the Saks Bond No. 9 counter, inform them of my address and request the appropriate samples? Can I just do that? Or will they refuse? Is there a certain way to go about this?

I feel like I'm out of my league- I'm not familiar with the do's and don'ts in this situations. I was surprised with the entire practice.

SVZ

You're probably going to have to buy something from them, imo, for them to ship it to your new location. That's the only reason they're sending the samples lol

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    You're probably going to have to buy something from them, imo, for them to ship it to your new location. That's the only reason they're sending the samples lol
    I sort of intend to buy something if I like whats in the samples. That's my problem- I'm not in NYC and Bond no. 9 doesn't (to my knowledge) have counters anywhere near me. Could I make that sell? If so, how?

SVZ

Call in and ask if they can ship it to you, since you've moved and then you can update your address that way.

Just be kind and firm, you'll get whatever you want. Saks and Bergdorf's are big on building clientele. They keep a record of your purchases and things you like. And if you happen to buy a big bottle and don't like it, they'll take it right back, no box, no receipt.

Thread Information