Real name: Joanie Laurer
Birthdate: December 27, 1970
Partner: Sean Waltman
Click here for more images!
Joan Marie "Joanie" Laurer (born December 27, 1969) is an American actress and retired professional wrestler. A former bodybuilder, she is best known for her career with the World Wrestling Federation between 1997 and 2001, where she was known as Chyna and nicknamed The Ninth Wonder of the World (with the eighth wonder being André the Giant).
At the same time, Laurer's appearance in the November 2000 issue of Playboy attracted the unwanted attention of Right to Censor, a strait-laced group of wrestlers who lampooned the Parents Television Council. Shortly after, Laurer was announced as injured after a double team piledriver at the hands of Ivory and Val Venis.
Since 2003, Laurer has had a tumultuous relationship with wrestler Sean Waltman. They were engaged for a period in 2003, then broke up, then became engaged again, a pattern which continued for the next two years. In 2004, it was claimed that Laurer and Waltman made a sex tape during a vacation to China earlier that year, but Laurer did not go to China with Waltman. Eager for a repeat success, the company that released Paris Hilton's celebrity sex tape obtained the footage, edited it, and released it under the name 1 Night in China. The video sold over 100,000 copies, with both Laurer and Waltman earning a share of the profits, and boosted both their careers.
In January 2007, Laurer conducted an interview with "Lifted Magazine" where she talked about finding religion, overcoming a past full of drugs and violence, and promoted her new movies and TV series, The Surreal Life: Fame Games, which began to air on VH1 in January 2007. The filming took place in April 2006, during which she formed a close friendship with Brigitte Nielsen. Her elimination from the show, which occurred in the seventh episode, was controversial. Andrea Lowell had accumulated the lowest score in the "Celebrity Call-Back-A-Thon" challenge, but she manipulated Kennedy, the judge, to increase her score and got Laurer eliminated in the process.
On February 8, 2007 (the date of Anna Nicole Smith's death), a visibly upset Laurer appeared on Larry King Live to speak about her late friend. On the program, Laurer claimed that she "knew it was coming" because of the way the media had ridiculed Smith, and she drew parallels between the plight of Anna and herself. However, the wife of the CEO of Trim Spa, Monique Goen, claimed that Smith did not consider Laurer a friend.
- The Martin Short Show - Episode #1.44 (1999)
- 3rd Rock from the Sun - Episodes: The Big Giant Head Returns Again: Part 1 and 2 (2000)
- 3rd Rock from the Sun - Episode: This Little Dick Went to Market (2000)
- Pacific Blue - Episode: Kidnapped (2000)
- Mad TV - Episode #6.5 (2000)
- MTV Cribs Episode: #13: Laurer, Tony Hawk, and Usher (2000)
- Tracker - Episodes: Remember When (2001), Pilot (2002)
- Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Episode: Driving Mr. Goodman (2002)
- The Nick Cannon Show - Episode: Nick Takes Over Fitness (2002)
- Relic Hunter - Episode: Antianeirai (2002)
- Whose Line Is It Anyway? - Episode #5.8 (2002)
- Celebrity Boxing 2 (2002)
- The Anna Nicole Show - Episode: The Anna Nicole Show Holiday Special (2002)
- The Surreal Life (2005)
- My Fair Brady (2006)
- The Surreal Life: Fame Games (2007)
- The Tyra Banks Show (2007)